February 14, 2012
Eager entrepreneurs are always seeking business opportunities around special calendar events. Valentine’s Day poses another one of those short-term opportunities if you can get in on it early and big.
The National Retail Federation has posted some favorable survey statistics for this year’s love-filled seasonal event:
– average spending per person (dressed like cupid)… $126.03
– an 8.5% increase in spending over last year
– $17.6 billion estimated spending on chocolates, little red heart and cupid arrows
– on average, people will spend $4.52 on their pets
– men will spend an average $168, while women will spend an average of $86
– rounding off the stats – $4.1 billion on jewelry, $3.5 billion on a night out, $1.8 billion will be spent on followers, $1.5 billion on candy, $1.4 billion on clothing and $1.1 billion on gift cards (including those tacky pop up heart cards)
Stats for the technical shoppers, 54% of tablet owners will research and buy products for Valentine’s Day, while 41% of smart phone users will do the same.
So, don’t overlook great short-term opportunities around big commercial events such as Valentine’s Day.
© 2012 Strategy Plan One
Business information, resources and tips for the entrepreneur
Stats courtesy – NRF’s 2012 Valentine’s Day Consumer Intentions and Actions survey, conducted by BIGinsight